Overcoming anxiety attacks is challenging, especially if you suffer from severe anxiety attacks that can be an overwhelming experience.
However, just because something is difficult it does not mean that it cannot be done.
In fact, close to 90% of the people that receive treatments for their anxiety disorder do get better.
Unfortunately, many people that suffer from anxiety and depression never get treated for their disorders.
One of the reasons why this is the case, is that sometimes it is not easy to recognize the symptoms of anxiety and depression or to distinguish between them and normal human reaction to stress. This is why, if you suspect that you may suffer from anxiety attacks, the first thing you need to do is to talk to a health professional.
Overcoming anxiety attacks is a process that needs time and hard work. This means that there are some strongly recommended steps that need to be made in order to get better and eventually cured from anxiety and anxiety attacks:
• Seek professional help: When your tooth hurts you go to the dentist, when your car is broken you go to the mechanist, therefore, when you feel overwhelmingly stressed and anxious, you should go to the psychologist. You should never expect your anxiety or any other metal disorder would go a way by itself.
Psychologist or other health professionals will provide you with professional advice, guidance and support, which are all essential for your successful treatment.
• Build your own network support: Your family members and friends all need to be mobilized and ready to give you support when you need it the most. They should also be prepared for your possible anxiety attack and they should be educated about your disorder so they know how to help you during your attack and afterwards.
For them to know how to behave around you during your panic attack and what they should and should not do is what they need to learn first. Everything that they need to know about your disorder they can learn in family therapy and by reading certain books that are written for that purposes.
Good and solid family support can be the best help during your process of overcoming anxiety attacks. However, if people around you do not know how to behave during your anxiety attack, they can make you feel even worse by scaring and upsetting you. The bottom line is that people that want to help you need to learn how to do it first.
• Do not self medicate: Self medicating with any substance will not help you but prolong your process of overcoming anxiety attacks and anxiety in general. Alcohol is the number one choice for people that suffer from anxiety attacks, especially for those that suffer from social anxiety attacks.
• This is very unfortunate because the only thing that alcohol does in this case is possibly make you feel better for a short period of time while at the same time can cause your next panic attack and make you more vulnerable and miserable. In other words, alcohol is the last thing you should be consuming if you are suffering from an anxiety disorder.
One important thing to emphasize is that any amount of alcohol is too much if you suffer from anxiety or depression. There is no such thing as moderate drinking when you are diagnosed with anxiety or depression.
• Always take the medication as prescribed: If you are taking the medication for anxiety or depression, you need to make sure that you are not misusing or abusing your medication. In addition, overcoming an anxiety attack or anxiety in general only with medication is very unlikely. If you really want to overcome your anxiety, you need to participate in psychotherapy and make the appropriate changes in your life.